The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/jagsnb-wrote-in-tmfs-review-of-discount-brokers-10447031.aspx

Subject:  Re: Foolish Four IRA Date:  12/5/1998  4:13 AM
Author:  DarkOut Number:  7022 of 75523

jagsnb wrote:
In TMF's review of discount brokers, it says that E*Trade has IRA custodian fees of $25 startup, $25 annual. Is this incorrect/outdated?

I don't recall a startup fee, but I'd have to go back and check my statements for sure. There is no annual fee, however. So it does look like the info there is outdated.

I'm not entirely happy with E*Trade for other reasons. Some of their data is wrong and server performance is spotty sometimes (blank pages, can't logon, etc). I've heard this about every other online broker, also, so I guess it's a question of magnitude.

It's also hard to get certain kinds of information, like a complete disclosure of fees on an IRA, for example. They advertise on the main page about no fees, but no where that I can find a complete IRA fee breakdown (maybe I just haven't looked hard enough, although I shouldn't have to).

The other issue is commissions. NASDAQ trades are $19.95 and I don't feel I'm getting anything extra by paying more here than say at someplace like Ameritrade where they charge only $8 per trade.

So while I have no major complaints, there are enough little issues to make me consider maybe moving elsewhere.

--DarkOut
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us