The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/new-direction-10454760.aspx

Subject:  New direction. Date:  12/9/1998  6:58 PM
Author:  AliFool Number:  7141 of 74759

OK, so no more of dabbling in this and playing with that. This Fool means business.

When I first joined the rat race less than a year and a half ago, I had no clue about 401Ks and mutual funds. I had 11 choices, and I put some in ALL of them. Diversity was supposed to be a good thing, so why not? : )

After reading the Fool, I made some effort towards consolidation. I didn't need the income-preserving assets, I needed long-term growth. But I was still sort of entranced by the possiblity of the Asian crisis turning around, and world markets booming.

Now... I am more interested in individual stocks. I've started my own Roths in addition to my 401K, and I pick my own companies. Fun stuff. A sort of new hobby.

Recently, I combined all the remaining funds in my 401K into our plan's equivalent of the S&P Index Fund, but you know... there is still a pretty high fee associated. Makes me darn mad, even if it IS pretax money.

BUT... the company got smart. In '99 we are switching our 401K plan over to Vanguard, and guess where all my Index money gets transferred?! Yup. Vanguard's S&P 500 Fund, operating expenseses of 0.19. This is a Good Thing.

--AliFool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us