The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wait-im-confused-which-spouse-are-we-10463059.aspx

Subject:  Re: Traditional IRA Deductibility Date:  12/14/1998  1:04 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  7126 of 121439

[[Wait, I'm confused! Which 'spouse' are we talking about in that last sentence refering to a Roth
IRA? Is it the non-working one or the breadwinner who "has to have income to contribute after tax
money to a Roth"?]]

Perhaps I misread the question, Chris. Or didn't provide the best answer that I could. Let me try again.

[[ My understanding is that a non-working spouse (AGI=0) can contribute a fully
deductible $2K to a Trad. IRA or a non-deductible $2K to a Roth (or a mix) as long as the
breadwinner makes enough to cover both spouses' contributions.]]

That's basically correct...BUT...the definition of a "non-working" spouse has been expanded to any spouse that has less than $2k of earned income. This means that even if a spouse has some earnings, a full $2k IRA can be made for that non-working spouse...as long as the "working" spouse has enough earned income to cover the total contribution.

[[ I also thought the previous (pre-1997 tax year) rules said that non-working spouses were limited to
$250, not $2K.]]

Again, these were the OLD rules. They went out a while ago when the Congress saw how stupid they really were. Now a "non-working" spouse (or...even "limited" working spouse) can make a full $2k contribution as long as the "working" spouse has enough earned income to cover.

Hope this clears it up. If not, please try me again.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us