The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: What about payroll deposit charitable donati Date:  12/16/1998  7:52 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  7276 of 127637

[[My company allows me to contribute to the United Way through automatic payroll deposits.]]

Good for you, Janus. Good for you!!

[[ This
is the first year I have done this and I was wondering do I need to prove this deduction to the IRS?]]

Your final year end pay stub will most likely show your year to date contribution to the United Way via your payroll deductions. Easy.

[[ The deduction is not over $250. Will I need a receipt of some kind to prove this.]]

Nope...not at all...other than your pay stub to show that you DID give the donation.

But also remember that the $250 limitation is for any one gift at any one time. If you give $50/month for 12 months, your deduction will be $600, and you will not be in violation of the $250 limitation requirements, since each separate gift was less than $250. I just wanted to make sure that you were clear on that point.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us