The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: NON-QUALIFIED ANNUITY Date:  12/19/1998  12:56 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  7356 of 127745

[[ There is plenty of tax information on all sorts of IRAs, 401K and "normal"
annuity, but I have trouble finding any tax advices on commercial (non-qualified)

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by a "non-qualified" annuity. "non-qualified" in what sense. I'm not a life or annuity sales person, so I get a little hazy when when we get into "insurance speak".

[[ Am I stuck with my annuity in Prudential Security or there is a way to transfer it
somewhere or rollover like IRA without paying penalty for early withdrawals
and taxes on earnings? I don't mean brokarage penalty, just IRS.]]

If this is a "commercial" annuity, it is my understanding that you may be able to transfer it to another annuity using a Code Section 1035 exahcnge. But since this annuity is not currently in an IRA account, there is no way that I know of that you could move this annuity to an IRA (either Roth or regular).

[[ All advises will be greatly appreciated.]]

TMF Pixy, who is the host of the "retirement investing" folder is our resident specialist on annuity and retirement plan issues. You might want to take this question over to his folder for some additional clarification.

Sorry for the non-response response..
TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. There is still time available to do that tax planning (and tax saving) before the end of the year. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Pay special attention to the "archives" section. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us