The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Question for TMFPixie Date:  12/20/1998  11:04 PM
Author:  SnootFool Number:  7377 of 88438

<<My research indicates that if I convert to a Roth, that a rollover of the Thrift Savings Plan
funds would NOT be permitted. If I decide that the Roth conversion makes sense can an additional regular IRA be established to receive the proceeds of a
rollover from my Government plan?>>

If I understand your post (& the laws!) correctly, it's true that a 401K cannot be converted directly into a Roth IRA. However, as the second part of your your post quoted above indicates, it's perfectly legal to use a Traditional IRA as a conduit account. IOW, rollover the TSP into a Trad. IRA & then convert that money to a Roth. You don't have to open a new account to do this, just leave some token amount of money in the account after the first Roth conversion. Or, talk to your custodian, maybe they'll allow the account to exist in a dormant state, cash-free standing by for your retirement & TSP rollover.


PS- It's PixY! ;-)
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us