The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-use-turbotax-because-it-supports-my-sloppy-10519182.aspx

Subject:  Re: Tax software Date:  1/13/1999  12:52 PM
Author:  mathetes Number:  8340 of 121061

I use TurboTax because it supports my sloppy organization. When I discover one more piece of paper in the shoebox that changes the number on the form that changes the number on a form that changes the number ... I just put it in now and let TurboTax recalculate it. Before automation, I delayed getting started trying to organize all the pieces beforehand, and when they inevitably still showed up, there was always a debate about the consequences of ignoring this new item.

AMEN to that.

The price of TurboTax and TaxCut is so low now (go to your closest Staples and check them out) that it's worth it for even marginal convenience. Fill out the 1040 twice and your time is paid for.

Depending on what state you live in, whether or not there is a state income tax form, you'll find that the tax software now will complete that for you based on your entries for the Federal. In my experience, the Federal forms and instructions are easy compared to the state (whoever wrote Connecticut's instructions had to be writing for the sheer joy of tormenting the state's taxpayers). There's usually a small additional price, but it's well worth it.

Finally, if you are so inclined, you can offer to help family members fill in their tax returns (and maybe split the already low price with them). You're too young and early in your marriage at this point to do it for your children (as I do), but maybe your parents, siblings, cousins....

mathetes
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us