The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ltif-you-can-afford-to-do-it-now-why-waite-10532159.aspx

Subject:  Re: Is my plan crazy? Please comment Date:  1/19/1999  12:20 PM
Author:  bobbank1 Number:  456 of 8178

<If you can afford to do it now, why waite. Time is our greatest friend, but it can be our greatest
enemy.>

You're right. We're at the point that maybe we can put away some for that purpose. But almost all of our savings goes into retirement(401k). We've just worked up to maxxing out (9% of salary)the 401K; and paying off the house is an important priority for us(that fear of debt thing again). The kids have enough money saved for us to put them into an index fund or some other investment to which they can add a few hundred a year (gifts from the grandparents) plus we can put in a few. Perhaps between us we could fund an education IRA, but I'm just kind of skeptical about the whole idea. I don't like the 10% penalty if it isn't used by age 30. I would feel better if it could be rolled over into their retirement IRA if not used fully. We've just gotten FOOLish with some other IRA and are beginning to get a bit more educated about this whole money handling thing. Thanks for the replies and we're interested in reading more from you other FOOLs.

Bob B.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us