The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Form 8606 Date:  2/3/1999  12:41 PM
Author:  7NoTrump Number:  9435 of 127753

I made a nondeductible IRA contribution last year (in 1998 for 1997) for the first time and should have filed this Form 8606 with my 1997 return. This year (1998) I'm required to file the form again because I converted my regular IRAs to a Roth IRA.

To get right with the IRS on the 1997 Form 8606, should I forget about filing it and just fill out the 1998 form as if I have a 1997 one on file? Should I file the 1997 form with a 1040X for 1997, or just send it in by itself? Or can I just attach it to my 1998 return? (I'm guessing NOT on this last one)

I hope this is a no-brainer.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us