The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: social security loss Date:  2/11/1999  7:46 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  10015 of 127513

She will not lose any benefits. If her gain is large enough, however, some of her benefits may become taxable.

But if she is collecting SS and still working for wages, she may have an offset in SS if she is between 62 and 69. I am presuming this is not the case.

The threshold for taxability of SS for a single person is as follows. Take all non-SS income, even non-taxable income like municipal bond interest. Add half SS. If this exceeds $25,000, some SS will be taxable.

For details, first check out TMFTaxes's Tax FAQ's on this site. If this is not enough you can go to the IRS Web site,
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us