The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Minimise Capital Gains Tax for Non-Resident Date:  2/17/1999  8:03 AM
Author:  chrisboyce Number:  10419 of 127549

Hi there,
I have been living, working and paying tax etc in the UK for many years now although I am a US Citizen. I have purchased a large number of US Equities over the last couple of years and would like to sell them this year to purchase a boat in the US. If I do this within the UK I will be liable to 40% capital gains tax bill, on all sales over a nominal amount. I believe - after reading your article today - that this would be greatly reduced, if I moved back to the US and became a resident tax-paying Citizen. Would I not be eligible to pay either 10% or 20% on the capital gains?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us