The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: IRA Date:  3/9/1999  5:20 PM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  9015 of 88074

Greetings, WSelden, and welcome. You asked:

<<I would like to move my IRA from a mutual fund to a self-directed IRA with a discount broker. Is that possible?>>

Absolutely. Any discount broker will be glad to help you through the transfer process. Just pick one and give them a call. You'll complete and return two forms, one to open the self-directed IRA with the broker you choose and the other a set of instructions directing your current custodian to liquidate that IRA and send the proceeds to the new IRA custodian. That's called a direct transfer and avoids any possible tax hassles you could encounter if you rolled the funds yourself. So, find yourself a broker and enjoy. :-)

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us