The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/facts-both-my-wife-and-i-turn-55-in-2000-i-in-10660715.aspx

Subject:  Re: Substantially equal periodic payouts Date:  3/10/1999  9:22 AM
Author:  TheBadger Number:  9024 of 76237

Facts: both my wife and I turn 55 in 2000. I in feb, she in Oct. We want to use the Joint life expectancy division factor for the periodic payouts.

I would ask the question why? You can also use the "amortization" & "annuity" methods which may yield results that better suit your needs.

Q1.To determine the numerator of the calculation, do I use the total value of all my IRAs(both deductable and non-deductable, but not my Roth) as of Dec 31, 1999?

A1. You have a variety of choices; you could use a total as you describe or you can fracture some of your accounts and use a lesser number. Further, you can valuate as of 12/31/99 or any other date (typically a month-end) that preceeds the commencement of SEPP's.

Q2.Do I wait until my wife's birthday in Oct before I can determine the joint life factor for 55/55 and use it as the denominator in determining the 2000 payout?

A2. For you purposes of computation, you would compute both of your ages as of 12/31/2000.

Q3. If I take money out of any IRA before her birthday but after mine, do I use the 55/54 life factor?

A3. No.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us