The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: ESPP Computations Date:  3/10/1999  5:35 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  11876 of 127753

[[I sold shares purchased in my Employee Stock Purchase Plan and am trying to
understand what portion is reported as normal income and what to report as my
cost basis.

Here is an example of the relevant data using 1 share:

The begining option date: 6/1/96
The ending period date: 12/1/96 (purchase date)
Date stock sold: 6/11/98
Shares sold: 1
Beginning date FMV: 51.250
Ending (Pruchase) date FMV: 36.812
Purchase Price: 31.500
Total Proceeds from sale: 56.52

Now, according to TurboTax, I have a gain of $25.02, of which $19.50 is
reported as normal income. My capital gain amount is $5.52.]]

But you also have to remember that if this is a normal stock purchase plan (and not a stock option plan), the DISCOUNT that you were given on the shares would have been added to your W-2 income, and should also be added to your cost basis in the shares.

Your company should have an overview...a plan summary...of the stock purchase plan. You should read it because it should give you an overview of the tax issues.

[[ Is TurboTax wrong or an I missing something?
Please help.]]

I think that you are missing something. The plan summary and IRS Publication 550 should set you straight.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us