The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Divorce & tax issue Date:  3/11/1999  7:57 PM
Author:  5aaaaf Number:  11992 of 127513

My divorce decree states that my x-husband gets to claim 2 children as a tax deduction for even years and 1 child on the odd years. He has never taken any of the children as tax deductions until last tax year. Consequently, I have taken all 3 children as deductions historically. I did not know he took 2 of the children last year until I received a letter from the IRS stating there was a duplicate return on 2 social security numbers. I called my tax person who told me he can not claim any of the children unless I sign the IRS form relinquishing the children or child to him. I called the IRS and told them that I had not relinquished the children and he was not justified in taking them. I received a phone call in Feb from my x-husband informing me he was going to take 1 child as a deduction. I had already filed my taxes and having not been informed by him in a timely fashion, I took all 3 children as deductions. He stated he was entitled to take 1 according to the divorce decree and we would just have to see what happened. What should I do now?
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us