The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: roth IRA Date:  3/14/1999  11:31 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  12175 of 127616

[[is it true that you don't have to pay any taxes on any capital gain you earn from
money that is already in a roth ira. Ex: use Roth IRA money to buy
stock....stock move up...sell. no tax on these earning? that just sounds like is too
good to be true!!!]]

It is only tax free if you follow the rules when you take the distributions from your Roth IRA. If your distribution is not "qualified", you'll pay tax on the earnings at the time of the distribution.

To read more about the Roth IRA rules, read my series of posts on that very issue in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Be the first one on your block to own this masterpiece. It'll help you with your 1998 taxes, and it's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us