The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/web-turbotax-experience-10691732.aspx

Subject:  Web TurboTax experience Date:  3/20/1999  9:44 PM
Author:  gravitron Number:  12580 of 124657

Hello all...

I filed my taxes for the first time this year, and I did so using Web TurboTax. Just thought I'd share my experience, in case anyone else is wondering what it was like. What follows is a rather long-winded and somewhat verbose chronicle of my experience.

First I shopped around. There are actually several web sites which offer online tax preparation, among them Taxcut.com, Securetax.com, and WebTurbotax.com. I chose WebTurbotax because it seemed be the most cost-effective option. I was looking for a website which provided online, secure filing of both federal AND state taxes, for a low price or preferrably for free. All of these sites were secure; they all had 128-bit SSL encryption. From what I could gather, Taxcut.com allowed you to file a 1040 EZ online for free; however, to file for State (Virginia, in this case) you had to use their Taxcut State Edition software ($19.95 per state). Securetax.com allowed online filing of both federal and state returns. The filing fee was $9.95 for 1040 EZ + state, or $14.95 for 1040 (and associated forms) + state; they accepted credit cards for payment of fees. WebTurboTax allowed online filing of both federal and state forms; the pricing varied depending upon your filing situation. The filing fee was $9.95 for 1040 EZ + state return, or $19.95 for 1040 (and associated forms) + state return. HOWEVER, Intuit is also offering some charity program called the Quicken Tax Freedom Project, which works like this: if your adjusted gross income is less than