The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-thread-has-generated-an-interesting-number-of-10716688.aspx

Subject:  Re: My 401K manager's reaction.. Date:  3/30/1999  10:59 AM
Author:  IndecisiveFool Number:  9566 of 76418

This thread has generated an interesting number of posts. Step 4 of the Foolish Retirement Planning section has been discussed many times in the past. The equation in Step 4 is used to compare tax-deferred to taxable savings. But the withdrawl of funds is important also. I wonder if TMFPixy in the future will account for the difference in tax rates between taxable and tax-deferred accounts at time of withdrawl.

Also, Badger had an interesting post about investing in poor performing 401k's for people who leave employment after 10 years (as an example) and then rolling that 401k into a self-directed IRA. I know it is hard to account for every situation in Steps to Retirement, but this example seems to modify the Conclusion to Step 4.

It doesn't look like there is any right answer. Maybe the only good solution is to do the calculations yourself.

..IF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us