The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: F-1 student Date:  4/3/1999  1:29 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  13541 of 127542

I am going to stick my neck out here. Beware, I am uninformed. But "resident alien" and "non-resident alien" are legal terms. If you are are a resident alien, you have a green card (by the way, green cards are pink these days). That means you have pretty much all the rights a U.S. citizen does, except you cannot vote.

If you are a nonresident alien, your rights are more restricted. For example, if things are as they used to be, if you are a student and married, your wife may not hold a job.

Either way, if you make money here, Uncle Sammy is going to want his cut. Now, I could see there could be exceptions. For example, I believe the Bank of Nova Scotia is trying to take over some bank in Chicago. So maybe if you lived in Chicago for 2 months as a Canadian and were paid by the Canadian bank all that time, that would not count.

Otherwise, it would.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us