The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-just-dont-trust-em-10754363.aspx

Subject:  I just don't trust 'em... Date:  4/10/1999  4:39 AM
Author:  philm65 Number:  9834 of 76106

Greetings Fools,

Well, I've been living in the Middle East for about a year now as a UK expat. So whilst I don't pay taxes (yeeha..), I also had to stop contributing to my UK pension scheme (legal stuff), hence currently I am just saving spare cash into a deposit account offshore. So I still need to plan for my retirement.

Daunting thought.... "When you retire (55ys?), you will have every chance to live your working life again, but this time in retirement (30yrs?)"

So how do I plan for this? Problem is I just don't trust them big Penion / Financial houses to manage my funds. I was thinking of setting up an offshore scheme, but can I do better myself? I am in the middle of reading Robert Sheard's "The Unemotional Investor". I am seriously considering following the Beating the Dow Principle for long term investments. I have also opened up a brokerage account with Schwab and am trading blue chip stocks.... but all this is still risky when you are planning for your nest egg.

So what does everybody else do? Is there a type of fund I can invest in which is going to give me real returns in the long term, so that if I screw up with my own investments then at least I am saved. I also have 2 kids, I want to put them through school and college. How can I cater for this with my retirement savings scheme?

Any Fools got any Foolish advice for me?

Phil.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us