The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Foolish Four in an IRA Date:  4/11/1999  11:05 AM
Author:  TMFPixy Number:  9857 of 88435

Greetings, Drkangle, and welcome. You asked:

<<I have GE in my trading account but want to get it moved to my IRA with the same online brokerage company. is it possible to transfer my shares in that trading account to my Roth IRA? Or do I have to sell GE and buy it again with the Roth IRA cash? >>

No, you may not transfer shares from your taxable account to your Roth IRA. Securities may be contributed to an IRA only as part of a rollover from another IRA or from an employer's qualified retirement plan. Otherwise, all IRA contributions must be made in cash. You'll have to sell those shares, deposit the cash, and then repurchase them inside the IRA.


Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us