The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: RothConversion Income Limit Date:  4/27/1999  12:35 AM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  15093 of 127549

[[Can someone verify for me the maximum that a joint couple's income can be in
order to convert an IRA Rollover to a Roth IRA Rollover. My understanding is
$100,000 AGI is the limit for conversion, while $150,000 is the limit for a
$2,000 annual Roth IRA. Is this correct?]]

Basically correct. You can read more about the Roth IRA and the various limits in my series of posts on the Roth IRA in the Taxes FAQ area.

[[ Second, if I contribute 5% to my company's 401k plan, can I still contribute
$2,000 to a Roth IRA, assuming my income is > $2K, but < $150K?]]

Again, yes. Simply participating in your 401k plan will not exclude you from making a Roth contribution. This is also explained in my Roth IRA posts in the Taxes FAQ area.

[[ Lastly, if my Rollover is $50,000 and my joint adjusted gross income is $90K -
$100K, what should I expect the Federal & State tax liability to be? Do I
literally, multiple the rollover amount times 28% if that is my bracket?]]

Yup...that's basically it. Since your conversion will be a 1999 conversion, it'll all be recognized in the year of the conversion, and will all be taxed as ordinary income.

Again, read more about all of these Roth issue in my post in the Taxes FAQ area.

TMF Taxes

Want to learn more about taxes and investing? Then we have a deal for you!! The Motley Fool Investment Tax Guide is now available through Fool Mart. Don't be the LAST one on your block to own this masterpiece, since it's sellin' fast. Remember: It's never to early to start planning for your 1999 taxes. So just click on this link ( to read more about this amazing collection of tax information. (Apologies for the shameless plug…but it is a pretty good book…if I do say so myself). In addition, if you would like to visit the Taxes FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) area, click on and you'll be right at the home page. Check it out. Finally, if you need to get to the IRS web site, click on to go directly there.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us