The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Which way to IRA? Date:  6/9/1999  9:59 AM
Author:  jocave Number:  11163 of 78166

I've determined that a self-directed IRA is where I want to put 401(k) money from a previous job. All well and good. However, I can't get a satisfactory (by that I mean knowledgeable) answer from my brokerage house about which type of IRA to choose. One guy says a 401(k) rollover goes into a non-contributory IRA, another says it's my choice between a conduit (rollover) account and a traditional account, but he can't tell me the difference between them. I know the difference, but I don't know the tax law.
Given my choice, I'd opt for the contributory account and would put in my $2000 per year. Anybody know the scoop on this? All advice appreciated!

Short answer: Your 401(k) can be rolled into a normal, every-day traditional