The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Trader tax bracket Date:  7/9/1999  4:03 PM
Author:  pauleckler Number:  17111 of 127753

I am not sure what you are asking, but if you get the capital gains tax form and work your senarios through it you will see that long term capital gains are calculated and then reduced in value (if income limitations are met). A portion of the long term gain is then added to your income before your normal income tax rate is applied.

Regardless of your income level (unless you exceed the maximums) you will pay taxes at your regular rate on short term gains and reduced rates on your long term gains.

If all your income comes from investments you will probably be required to make quarterly payments of estimated taxes.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us