The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-variable-annuity-through-tiaa-cref-that-11043730.aspx

Subject:  Re: Annunities Date:  7/13/1999  4:13 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  12078 of 76398

I have a variable annuity through TIAA-CREF. That, for educators, is the only option, or used to be when I was an educator.

If I die before I start collecting, my beneficiaries will collect a good chunk o' change. If I collect, however, I have to elect the payout method. As I understand it, I may not change my mind once I do.

I am single, and I would maximize my up-front payments by choosing the 1 life, 10 year guaranteed option. But if I do that, and I get married after starting to collect, then if I keel over after 6 years, my wife only gets 4 more years of payments.

At the other extreme, if I choose a co-annuitant to whom I am not married (think of Daddy Long Legs until the closing scene of that movie) and she is 25 years or more younger than I am, I may only choose the 2 life option with 50% survivorship.

Now, the TIAA-CREF rules may be different for the general public. But, as intercst points out, you really want to make sure you understand when the money runs out with an annuity.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us