The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/value-of-charitable-gift-of-stock-11044535.aspx

Subject:  Value of Charitable Gift of Stock Date:  7/13/1999  7:09 PM
Author:  DowDanny Number:  17263 of 121169

Howdy Tax-perts...

Y'all may point me to the relevent FAQ, but if you please, could you also give me the direct answer on this specific question ?

How do I determine the 'value' of charitable donation given in the form of stock shares ?

I mean this to be a completely narrow and technical question:

- Do I value the stock by closing price on the day I write the letter/give instructions to my brokerage to effect the transfer ?

- Or do I use the value on the day the shares physically disappear from my account ?

- Or should I use (and find out) the value of the shares the day they magically appear in my charitable organization's account ? Or the day they sell it ?

- And assuming I can determine which DAY to use to evaluate the value, do I have to use opening / closing/ average price per share on that day ?

- Or am I being silly, and am allowed a bit of fudge factor-ness in determining the price as somewhere in some range on some set of days around when I make the transfer ?

Thanks for your response.

- Danny

PS: Did I ever you tell you the story about how "a friend" made good on a chartable "pledge" by gifting stock - and how the stock then lost 10-15% in value between "pledge date" and the day the charity got around to selling it... and how the "charity" then wrote "my friend" to ask for the balance on the pledge ? There's one that doesn't make it into too many "fund raiser's instruction books" but it did leave a strong impression on "my friend" - who somehow neglected to contribute the following year.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us