The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Mutual Funds, Capital Gains - I'm lost Date:  7/14/1999  9:41 AM
Author:  ChrisPRocks Number:  17296 of 127534

Thanks for all of your responses. I'm starting
to get the idea. I'm still a little confused,

I've owned these funds for the last 10 years since
I was 13 (which makes me 23!!) Let's just
say the paperwork I have on the funds dates
back to about '97. (I have no idea where the
rest is. My parents probably chucked it all).

So my question is - can and will the mutual fund
companies provide the information necessary
in calculating my gain/loss in order for me
to determine the taxes I will owe?

If so, what should I request?

To be honest, I have no idea how much I initially
invested, how the dividends have contributed to
the value of the fund over the course of 10 years,
as well as the taxes I've paid thus far. Is there
a convenient place to look for this type of information?

Obviously these funds have at least gained a little over the course of 10 years, actually they've gained a fair amount.

Where can I get each year's Form 1099 from the fund?
(assuming I don't have them?)

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us