The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement-Soon or Done

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-heard-i-must-have-medicare-at-age-65-in-11133902.aspx

Subject:  Re: medical coverage after 65 Date:  8/9/1999  4:32 PM
Author:  hvyevy2 Number:  48 of 169

I have heard I must have medicare at age 65 in place of the health overage I presntly have. Will my employer approach me to switch to medicare? Will it happen automatically? Is this SOP? I dont want to ask human
services.Thank all insights very much.

I understand the next to last statement better than some, I would wager. My answer to your question is, NO, you do not HAVE to switch. I am almost 70 and will retire the day before I am. I am still on the University's BC/BS plan. When I retire, I will go on Medicare and a Medigap policy. One must have Medicare in place before our State retirement group will allow one into the Medigap plan. My fear was what I had heard about 10% annual penalties if one did not sign up for Medicare within X-days of 65. This is NOT true. If you are under employer coverage, you are grandfathered in at the cost at the time you reach your 65th birthday.

Hope this helps

hvyevy2
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us