The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retirement-Soon or Done

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ff-in-a-403b--11137264.aspx

Subject:  FF in a 403(b) ??? Date:  8/10/1999  3:40 PM
Author:  bailey7094 Number:  62 of 169

hvyevy2 says:

In addition, I anticipated buying into the FF with some of the 403(b). Of course, I will pay taxes on all the withdrawals. Comments please.

Greetings hvyevy2,

It's my understanding that only funds are available in a 403(b) by law. Thus, if you want to do the FF bit with your 403(b) funds, you may have pull them out and immediately pay the taxes or roll them over to an IRA. As I stated in and earlier post, I plan to roll the 403(b) funds into an existing SEP IRA at retirement. There's little or no disadvantage as far as I know, and this will allow me to buy and sell equities, FF or otherwise, if I wish. If I still want an Index 500 strategy like I have now with Vanguard's VFINX, I can buy Spiders (SPY). All will be "tax deferred".

By the way, the 71.5 "hav tu" deal was a slip up. Since my birthday is October 16, my "hav tu" withdrawal age works out to just about 71.5 years. You are correct that it is usually closer to 70.5 .

Persevere!
FoolishProf
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us