The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/pikapp383-writes-i-am-following-the-advice-that-i-11139722.aspx

Subject:  Re: Social Security Date:  8/11/1999  10:23 AM
Author:  intercst Number:  13063 of 74759

pikapp383 writes,

I am following the advice that I read somewhere on this site in regards to calculating the money you will need and have during retirement.

paraphrasing..."then add in your expected benefit from Social Security (may I suggest ZERO)..."

Personally I am planning on receiving nothing from SS and if I do happen to get some, then its just gravy.

Excellent advice! I'm 43 and using a Social Security benefit of $0 for my own planning.

If you're fed up with Social Security taxes, there's a solution. Stop working and retire early. I did this five years ago. Many folks don't realize that interest, dividends, capital gains, and pension and retirement plan distributions are all exempt from FICA and Medicare taxes. It's certainly possible to cobble together enough to live on from these sources if you have a modest lifestyle.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us