The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-be-afraid-of-the-same-perhaps-you-need-11155442.aspx

Subject:  Re: new job/new retirement plan Date:  8/16/1999  12:35 AM
Author:  zay34kc3 Number:  13164 of 76418

I would be afraid of the same. Perhaps you need to find out what the commission schedule is and see what the cheapest way you have to save the money. Unfortunately, since your SEP is at a full-service brokerage, they'll probably get you going & coming.

my company used to have an SEP with ML. the minimum commission was $50, and it went up from there based on amount. ML was also not very forthcoming with the fee schedule. "Oh, it's about 3-4%," is the best answer i ever got. i also had to catch someone at the office who could actually execute trades for me. and, yes, i mean catch.

as to the original poster's question, i would suggest developing one portfolio. having 4 separate ones will kill you on commissions since you'd be making 4 times as many transactions. assuming you did a complete swap of the FF each time (8 trades), that's 32 trades/year, or $1600 minimum if your schedule is anything like mine was.

of course, if your salary/portfolio is high enough, that may not be much. also, ML is going to bring flat-fee trading (at $29.95/trade, i believe) to the masses in December. this may save you quite a bit of money and influence how you want to structure your account if your plan offers it.

zay34kc3
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us