The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: move stocks into an IRA? Date:  8/19/1999  5:05 PM
Author:  bombardea Number:  13266 of 88058

no wierdness or laziness here. Contributions to an IRA must be made in cash... IRS regs. Most reasonable alternative is to sell the stock (presumably at a gain) pay taxes on the gain and contribute that money to an IRA. You will pay taxes and commissions that could have been avoided if the cash had been contributed to an IRA in the first place, but it is not the end of the world. Just think of the extra expense as tuition at the school of street smarts.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us