The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/ron-thanks-for-your-help-if-you-were-able-to-11235667.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date:  9/8/1999  12:53 PM
Author:  TaysPop Number:  1269 of 189504

Ron,

Thanks for your help...

If you were able to surf the web at acceptable speeds in the past, DO NOT upgrade to a new Netscape or Microsoft browser if you can avoid it...

I just loaded Office 2000 (note: it was slow before, too) and I think it automatically upgraded the browser if I'm not mistaken. As far as my surfing speed goes, it was not real bad...only at times, and that is perhaps partially attributable to my ISP in addition to the various servers, right?

I have to keep my free HD space above 200MB...

This may pose a problem for I really don't know how many more files, etc. I can delete.

You should exit all applications and then check your \temp and \windows\temp directories for old stuff you can delete -- then empty your Recycle Bin. And check your browser's cache settings -- mine is 8192 kB. I think 4096 is the default, and this should be fine.

A number of ? here...first, the \temp and \windows\temp directories you mention...do I find these by using "Find"? Secondly, I do keep my recycle bin pretty much clean. Thirdly, how or where do I check my cache settings?

...do Start-Run scandisk. It may require some interaction in order to complete. I don't have it automatically correct errors, tell it to ignore "long directory names", and delete the fragments it reports.

I did scan-disk last night but I believe I had it auto correct errors. I don't recall being prompted or able to tell it to ignore "long directory names"...is this at the scandisk file? I did have it delete the fragments it found though.

After scandisk is complete, do Start-Run defrag. Run it even it says your hard drive is only "1%" fragmented. Then reboot and restore the screen saver.

I did the defrag this a.m. It did say it was 13%...I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet to see how much performance was improved (I'm at my office now). But I did not turn off the screen saver when I did this...does that mean anything?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Scott

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us