The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/scott-i-just-loaded-office-2000-note-it-was-11235768.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date:  9/8/1999  1:23 PM
Author:  phooley Number:  1271 of 189630

Scott,

I just loaded Office 2000 (note: it was slow before, too)...
You can check your browser version by going to:
http://www.fool.com/browserinfo.asp Sounds like you are probably on IE 5.0, unless you selected to retain a non-IE product as your default browser.

After I installed Office 97 I had to tinker with it to avoid a big slow down due to insufficient HD space. I have heard that Office 2000 can be a memory/HD hog but I am avoiding it until I get a faster PC so I have no direct knowledge of how it might affect a 3-yr. old PC.

I had to remove the Office taskbar (which had been along the RHS of my screen) to avoid slowing down my applications. With your 586 processor and with HD space at a premium, you may encounter similar problems.

A number of ? here...first, the \temp and \windows\temp directories you mention...do I find these by using "Find"?
Yes, or just use Windows Explorer and start at the "root", such as your C: drive. Use "detailed" view -- check the timestamps -- don't delete any "current" files.

Secondly, I do keep my recycle bin pretty much clean.
OK -- good!

Thirdly, how or where do I check my cache settings?
Depends on your browser. (But it's probably not a problem -- just something to be aware of when your free HD space is low.) Netscape: it's under Edit|Preferences, usually near the bottom, such as "Advanced | Cache". But it sounds like you're on IE. If you have an IE icon on your desktop, you can right-click on the IE icon -- then it should be something like Properties, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings. I just reduced mine to 1% of my HD. It had been 3%. Too low can slow down browsing, a high number is only a problem if it gets your free space "too low".

BTW, I don't claim to be an expert -- I just wanted to share what has worked for me -- the defrag even helped my friends' fairly new Gateway PC, running W98. They weren't aware of defrag -- they're former, long-time Apple Macintosh users! (Sigh...)

Ron
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us