The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-missed-some-points-i-did-scan-disk-last-night-11235805.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date:  9/8/1999  1:34 PM
Author:  phooley Number:  1273 of 189504

I missed some points:

I did scan-disk last night but I believe I had it auto correct errors. I don't recall being prompted or able to tell it to ignore "long directory names"...is this at the scandisk file? I did have it delete the fragments it found though.
If you don't have deeply-nested directories, you shouldn't have any trouble. My "long names" are due to the way I have organized my saved emails under Netscape Messenger...

I did the defrag this a.m. It did say it was 13%...I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet to see how much performance was improved (I'm at my office now). But I did not turn off the screen saver when I did this...does that mean anything?
The pointer about turning off applications (actually, I stop/exit/disable everything in my systray except the time-of-day clock and the volume control) and turning off the screen saver is intended to speed up scandisk/defrag. Either of these tools have to restart if an application modifies the contents of your HD. It can take almost forever for either of these to complete if your screen saver is set for 1 to 4 minutes...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us