The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-went-to-delete-the-temp-files-last-night-i-say-11240064.aspx

Subject:  Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date:  9/9/1999  2:06 PM
Author:  phooley Number:  1291 of 188741

I went to delete the temp files last night. I say two temp file folders...one that said just temp, another that was a temp internet file.

#1 - I assume I want to delete both, correct?

Not exactly... see below.

#2 - When I went to do so, I got a message that asked me if I wanted to do that as it would effect the program (Note - I had attempted to delete the entire folder instead of the contents).

DO NOT DELETE THESE FOLDERS.

Can I delete the folder in its entirety or do I need to delete each and every file within? There were quite a few. If I am to avoid deleting the folders and just "empty" the contents, how's a quick way to do that?

If you look at the dates, you should be able to figure out which ones are old enough to delete. As long as you're sure you have no other applications open, you should just be able to do cntl-a and delete to take care of all of them. Or, sort the files by date, and use Windows Explorer's regular shift-click-click or cntl-click-click-click (etc.) to select the ones you want to get rid of.

As far as the "temp Internet files" are concerned, I would use IE/Properties to manage this. The only time I clear these files is when I'm getting ready to do a backup, to avoid wasting time backing up these cached items. (Netscape is a different story ... sometimes you have to delete its cache folder to clear up some problems. That's the only time that I know of when it's advisable to delete a "temp"-type folder.)

Hope the above is clear.

Ron
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us