The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/roth-ira-distribution-if-disabled-11261425.aspx

Subject:  Roth IRA - distribution if disabled Date:  9/15/1999  5:31 PM
Author:  harpconn Number:  18884 of 120805

I have two Roth IRAs. The first one I converted to a Roth from a Traditional IRA. The second I opened originally as a Roth IRA. I plan to open Roth IRAs every year in the future.

I am disabled. I was officially disabled before either of these IRAs became Roth IRAs. My disability is permanent, so I will continue to be disabled during the time I open new Roth IRAs. My income comes from Social Security Disability and my company's Long Term Disability plan. I am carried on the company's books as an "active" employee on disability leave so I believe my company income counts as "earned income" for contribution to Roth IRAs. I am not sure about my Social Security income. I will be 59 1/2 in Oct, 2000.

Does anyone know how the distribution qualifications for "disabled" apply in my case?

Specifically, do I have to leave money in the Roth IRA for 5 years from the time I open each Roth IRA before I am "qualified" to withdraw it? (my understanding is that if someone "becomes" disabled, they are "qualified" to withdraw tax-free before the five years is up). If I am able to put $2,000/yr in stocks with both the principle and resulting growth available to me at any time TAX FREE ... I am truly in a FOOL's paridise.

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us