The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Sustainable Business

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotm-not-sure-about-this-cath-one-of-the-11293025.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sustainable Business Date:  9/24/1999  1:48 PM
Author:  catharine Number:  577 of 1656

"'m not sure about this Cath. One of the things I haven't liked about Buddhism is its apparent tendancy toward apathy. This is coming from very little knowledge, but the idea of being mindful and living in the present is very appealing and makes sense to me, BUT I'm not ready to give up my desire to "save the world" through teaching and influencing others, and that desire is not Buddhist at all. I think the above has good points, but it needs need more context behind it. Did that quote come from the same book?"

It came from the book about how modern religion is wrecking spirituality. I was just thinking about the points you are making about Buddhism. Maybe what they are saying is that when we get emotional about our desires, it is not a good thing. When we can pursue our desires without letting them take us over...things work out better. I don't know.
I wish we could attract a real Buddhist to the board to help us out. I know a little...but am not an expert by far!
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us