The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-appreciated-this-most-thorough-explanation-of-11311814.aspx

Subject:  Re: Variable Annuities Q Date:  9/29/1999  5:50 PM
Author:  collegefool Number:  14138 of 89852

I appreciated this most thorough explanation of annuities, but still have some questions.

As a school employee, a 401k isn't avaialable to me, but a 403(b) is, which to my understanding is similar to a 401k. On the other hand, the term "tax-sheltered (or deferred) annuity" seems to be used somewhat interchanagbly when talking about a 403(b). Maximizing a 401k is emphasized, but a variable annuity isn't. To my understanding I can't invest directly in stocks through my 403(b) (though I do in my IRA), so I have no choice but to invest in mutual funds. And since I can only invest $2000/yr in an IRA, doesn't it make sense to invest in a 403(b)/TSA so that I can invest $10,000/yr tax-deferred, as opposed to investing that money directly in stocks that I will have to pay taxes on?

I know this reply is somewhat stream-of-consciousness. Any help/answers greatly appreciated.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us