The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-mutual-fund-roth-ira-with-fidelity-and-11360502.aspx

Subject:  Re: mutual fund to brokerage IRA Date:  10/11/1999  8:14 PM
Author:  hghcpa Number:  19563 of 121061

I have a mutual fund Roth IRA with Fidelity and would like to transfer it directly to my online brokerage Roth IRA with Waterhouse. Is this possible

Yes - just contact the OLB and tell them of your intentions. They will send you the necessary forms to accomplish the transfer.

=====
Is this possible, or do I have to set up a separate IRA for the money from the mutual funds?

No you can combine the two into one account should you so choose.

=====

When I do, can I transfer my 403b money directly to the same Waterhouse brokerage IRA, or set up another IRA?

You would likely want to roll the 403b funds to a traditional IRA versus a Roth due to the potential tax consequences of Roth on these funds. The funds can be transferred to the Waterhouse OLB but would need to be maintained in a seperate account - disctinct from your Roth IRA's.

You may also wish to seek the advice of a professional as it relates to any choices of 5/10 year averaging on lump sum distributions.

Ed (Edcosoft) is the resident expert on these types of elections. I seem to remember he has some distinct alligator scars on his rear end from the lack of competent professional advice in this area of his financial life.

Pete

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us