The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Stocks E / Engineering Animation

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-the-record-quotthe-first-is-an-article-11365369.aspx

Subject:  Re: Status check Date:  10/12/1999  9:48 PM
Author:  mmolder Number:  108 of 129

For the record:

"The first is an article about the most prolific of the strike suit firms, Miller Lerach et al." The name of the firm is Milberg Wiess Bershad Hynes & Lerach. The firm is a competitor of mine, so I would be the last person to sing their praises. Nonetheless, I would point out that negative press has a habit of following people who are successful at what they do -- just ask Bill Gates.

Also, the term "strike suit" is not appropriate for Milberg Weiss. "Strike suits" are lawsuits which are objectively baseless. Lawyers who file strike suits have no intention of pursuing the claim, but seek to settle for nuisance value. Milberg Weiss simply does not do this. They may not always win, but I have never seen them sell out or flinch from taking a case to trial. Viewed from this perspective, perhaps it is the firm's perseverance and ability which makes the defendants fear them in litigation.

Next:

"The second site is from Stanford University, and is a good site for getting information about securities law." As I understand it, this site is maintained by a Stanford professor, Joseph Grundfest, who augments his income by serving as an expert witness primarily for companies accused of violations of the securities laws.

Finally:

"One of the plaintiffs in the case is now the Dean of the law school at the University of Chicago" The plaintiffs in that litigation were owners of a company which provided expert witness services primarily to companies accused of violating the securities laws.

Does anybody see a trend here?
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us