The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: gift to minor and tax question Date:  10/20/1999  1:41 PM
Author:  TaxService Number:  19871 of 127534

I would like to give my 1 yr old nephew a gift of $1000 for college expenses 1n 17-18 years. Can I open a Roth or educational IRA for him? What are the rules for Roth withdrawls for college? Would a roth be "better" than Edu. IRA?

***The child may not have a Roth IRA, unless the child has income from employment. Then the maximum contribution allowed would be 100% of the child's earnings from employment or $2,000 (whichever is less).
There could be no benefit in using your personal Roth because distributions taken for education purposes would have to be taken for use by you, your spouse, your children, or you or your spouse' grandchildren.

A maximum of $500 may be placed into an Education IRA, in any one year. That maximum includes amounts placed in such IRAs by all benefactors. For instance, if there were five benefactors, the maximum each would be able to contribute would be $100. The $500. figure may not be exceeded without triggering penalties.

Another option you have is to use a State Qualified Tuition Program to purchase credits or points. Many of these products have been affording generous returns and the current tuition charged is locked in so it will not be impacted by inflationary pressures.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us