The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/help-did-i-wait-to-long-11412115.aspx

Subject:  HELP! DID I WAIT TO LONG? Date:  10/23/1999  6:28 PM
Author:  TRYSTERO Number:  14738 of 75381

I guess I'm an idiot, but I would like to become a Fool. I'm fifty one years old and I just woke up to the harsh realities of being old and poor. I don't want to spend my old age living under a bridge with a shopping cart full of aluminum cans. I had a 403B from a previous job with about $18,000 in a stock fund.When I noticed that the DOW was melting down a few weeks ago I pannicked, after spending two days trying to find my paper work, and had the fund (Prudential) transfer my holdings to a money market. When the transfer was completed at the end of the day, my holdings were around $14,500. Since then I have opened an account with Scott Trade, and filed the paperwork to roll over the 403B into a self directed IRA with Scott. It will probably be another seven to ten days, before I have access to the funds so I've been trying to learn all I can. Yesterday I stumbled across this website. All the examples I've read so far are about the 25 or 30 year old who invests for 30 years and is a multimillionare. What can I do in the next 15 or 16 years to stay out of the shelter. My wife and I have just bought a house and we have about 20K in credit card debt to pay off, but Ive been making double and triple payments as often as I can.
Is there any hope of becoming a Fool from the bottom of a pit like this. Till we pay off the plastic, all I have to work with is the IRA. Where do I start?
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us