The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: Lost stock purcharse confirmation slip Date:  10/27/1999  5:36 PM
Author:  hghcpa Number:  20120 of 127613

We bought a stock (logicon) more than 20 years ago and I recently sold it. Since purchase the stock has changed name Northrop-Grunmman), gone through splits, paid dividens, etc. I have not been able to find the original purchase confirmation, and the broker does not have records going that far back. What can I do to determine cost basis, and generally how do I deal with the gains (it was profitable) vis-a-vis taxes?


You may want to contact the company to see if they have a record of the trading prices for the year it was purchased. I would suggest taking the mean between the hi and lo closing prices for the year it was purchased.

Call the Company and speak with Shareholder Relations dpt.

Once you get your "estimated cost per share" from them subtract it from the net sale proceeds in order to determine the gain.

Gains are reported on Schedule D

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us