The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/transferring-to-a-new-fund-11483272.aspx

Subject:  Transferring $ to a new fund Date:  11/7/1999  2:17 PM
Author:  flubby22 Number:  15187 of 75816

OK, I'm a newcomer and have done my Fool homework by reading the lessons on mutual funds. Tired of paying 1.5 percent for a managed fund. Want to switch to an index fund that charges more like .20 percent. The fund my spouse and I have is for ongoing mortgage payments (so we need to tap it regularly) and for our old(er) age. Time to wise up, but we have questions:

Will Jan. be a good time to switch to another fund? (Have read you should avoid investing in mutuals at the end of the yr.)

Should we put all our $ into one index fund? Is there enough diversification there?

By what process will we make the switch? Will our present mgr. sell off everything so we'll put cash into the new fund? Will the tax liability be only on capital gains then?

How can we roll over funds to avoid or minimize taxes?

What else should we know about this process and when and how to do it?? Can you suggest good sources of info. in the Motley Fool pages or elsewhere? Thanks for any input or suggestions!

Wising Up

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us