The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/constructive-sale-confusion-11494457.aspx

Subject:  Constructive sale confusion Date:  11/9/1999  2:41 PM
Author:  CarlErikson Number:  20770 of 121219

The following excerpt comes from part 3 of the Constructive Sales articles on the Tax Q&A:

<Example #1: On May 1, 1999, you bought 100 shares of ABC Corporation stock for $1,000. On September 3, 1999, you sold short 100 shares of ABC stock for $1,600. You held both of these positions until January 10, 2000. On that date, you close your offsetting short position for $1,800 and you keep your "long" position open until at least March 11th (at least 60 days). And, during that time, you did not enter into any other offsetting positions that would have reduced your risk of loss on your original position. Since you have met all of the exceptions to the constructive sale rules, you have no constructive sale for 1999. When you close your short position on January 10th, you'll recognize a short-term capital loss of $200 in tax year 2000. Your cost basis for your long position will remain $1,000, but your holding period will move to January 10, 2000.>

I just read the applicable parts of Publication 550 on Constructive Sales and it seems to imply that yes, if there is a constructive sale, that it gives you a new holding period for the position that begins on the date of the constructive sale. However, in the example above, you are exempt from the constructive sale and therefore your holding period for the original position should remain intact - not pushed forward to the date of the short sale. This discrepancy between this Tax Q&A article and Publication 550 has caused me some confusion (look at my three or four previous posts). Which scenario is correct?

Furthermore, by looking at Publication 550 I may have answered another confusing aspect of these tax laws. In Publication 550, under "Sale of appreciated financial position," it claims:

"A transaction treated as a constructive sale of an appreciated financial position is not treated as a constructive sale of any other appreciated financial position, as long as you continue to hold the original position. However, if you hold another appreciated financial position and dispose of the original position before closing the transaction that resulted in the constructive sale, you are treated as if, as the same time, you constructively sold the other appreciated financial position."

This implies to me that my hypothetical scenario in my "One more try" post is actually not a problem. I hold an appreciated position of 1,000 shares of YHOO at Schwab. I take on another long 1,000 shares at Waterhouse - then I short 1,000 shares on Datek. The appreciated financial position on this transaction refers to the 1,000 Waterhouse shares. I close both sides of the transaction simultaneously. I have a constructive sale on these 1,000 shares, but it is a short-term trade anyway. The original 1,000 shares at Schwab are not affected since I "continue to hold the original position."

Thanks for listening!
Carl Erikson

Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us