The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: alimony/spousal support Date:  11/10/1999  7:10 PM
Author:  hghcpa Number:  20876 of 125861

Am going to receive spousal supprt and eventually alimony and need to know if this sum has to be added to my income? Since my "husband" has already paid taxes on this money do I have to repoty as income? Appreciate any help


Alimony is taxable to you and a tax deduction to your ex.

Child support is not taxable to you nor is it a tax deduction for your ex.

Your divorce decree should identify what exactly he is paying to you - alimony or CS.

Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us