The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: alimony/spousal support Date:  11/10/1999  7:32 PM
Author:  JABoa Number:  20882 of 127513

Alimony is income to you and is deductible by him on Form 1040, Line 31a, as an adjustment to income. (So he really isn't paying taxes on it.) You have to report the alimony on Form 1040, Line 11. Child support, on the other hand, is not income to you and is not deductible by him.
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us