The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/this-is-a-retirement-board-so-maybe-some-of-us-are-11503623.aspx

Subject:  Re: RISING DIVIDENDS ANYONE? Date:  11/10/1999  9:18 PM
Author:  brucedoe Number:  15271 of 76237

This is a retirement board so maybe some of us are looking at different things. But investors have become too used to rising stock prices, I think. We are in uncharted territory now. The total value of stocks is now 150% of the Gross Domestic Product, something that has never been seen before. In August of 1929, it was 81.4% (the previous record) and in December of 1972 it was 78.1%. By September of 1974 it was 33.7% and in July of 1982 it was only 33.3%. I lived through that with good companies like BFI and Control Data and lost my shirt (though if I had hung in there, I probably would have come out all right, but I couldn't stand the heat). This has undoubtedly colored my view. Perhaps the stock market capitalization can get to 200%, who knows, but the situation is scary. I'm not sure I have a decade left to wait for the market to recover. I want the protection of increased dividends by good companies with a chance of equity appreciation too.

brucedoe
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us