The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies


Subject:  Re: alimony/spousal support Date:  11/11/1999  8:39 PM
Author:  TMFTaxes Number:  20989 of 127745

<<d) Make sure Judge specifies who gets to deduct which child(ren) on their tax return. This can avoid nasty situations later if same child gets deducted on two tax returns - just work out in advance how this will get handled.>>

Not any more. The judge can say all he wants...but the IRS got tired of fighting this issue. So the custodial spouse will receive the dependent deductions. Period. The best that you can do in the decree is to require the custodial spouse to "grant" the dependents to the non-custodial long as child support payments are kept current.

TMF Taxes

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us